Saturday 7 May 2011

Beauty brands that won't make you feel so beautiful

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Max Factor mascara, which I like, I also bought a Kit Kat Chunky. I then find out (from a pixiwoo vid) that Max Factor tests on animals, and after research so does Nestle who make my Kit Kat Chunky. So both things I bought and put my money towards actually funds something which I detest, animal testing. Depressing thought.

More depressing when you find out just how many high street products still do use this primitive and vile method;

  • Procter & Gamble (Always, Aussie, Aveeno, Clairol, Crest, D&G, Febreze, Gilette, Head & Shoulders, Iams(!?!), Listerine, Max Factor, Olay, Old Spice, Pampers, Pantene, Swiffer, Vicks),
  • Church & Dwight (Arm & Hammer, Nair, Oxi-clean, Pearl Drops),
  • Johnson & Johnson (Aveeno, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Rembrandt, ROC)
  • L'Oreal (Biotherm, Cacharel, Garnier, Giorgio Armani, Helena Rubenstein, Kiehl's, Lancome, Maybelline, Ralph Lauren fragrance, Redken, Vichy)
  • Unilever (Dove, Lux, Ponds, Sunsilk, Vaseline)
  • S.C. Johnson (Glade, Pledge)
  • Dial (Right Guard)
  • Bic
  • Colgate - Palmolive
  • Shisheido cosmetics
  • Reckitt Benckiser (Veet, Windex, Woolite)
  • Herbal Essences

I had pretty much thought this method had died out and was only used by a few lesser brands, however to find all these powerhouse companies that can afford to fund alternatives use this torturous and horrendously cruel method actually knocks me sick. I have tried to cut all these brands out of my shopping list, however because these companies dominate the high street and supermarkets it is so difficult to get away from and boycott, I guess that is how they get away with not having to change their ways of testing. I am not a PETA demonstrator about to preach to everyone about what and what not to buy, I am just a consumer who doesn't like this method, I am not about to chain myself to buildings or throw paint on people. When I look at my bunnies I feel so sad that other bunnies are being tortured and treated so badly just because these companies don't want to find another way. It is horrible to consider "what if it was my pet being tested on?" :[

For more animal friendly brands or brands to avoid visit the Source Link website (http://search.caringconsumer.com/)

I am glad MAC, Urban Decay & Too Faced don't test on animals, they are a few of my favourite brands!

No comments: